Thursday, May 1, 2008

Little People, Big Response


As a reporter, there is nothing more gratifying than when your story makes a difference in someone's life - let alone thousands of people's lives. My special report "The Bigger Picture - Dwarfism in America" has made an overwhelming impact on over 20 thousand from all parts of the world. Responses have come from the UK, China, Japan and from here in the US. A fifteen year old little person from Japan wrote me to say thank you for putting a face with the condition. She said that size, race and color are things you have no control over, so people should focus on the heart and be more open-minded. She's exactly right! Getting people to be more open-minded was my goal when I decided to do the story. Hopefully fewer people now use hurtful words like midget, and instead refer to those living with Dwarfism as little people.

I enjoyed spending time with the Campbell family, and learning about the challenges they face on a daily basis. Jim and Joanna Campbell have done an amazing job raising their two kids. In fact, I can't tell you how many people fell in love with 14 year old Elizabeth's positive attitude. If you haven't had the opportunity to watch "The Bigger Picture", you can find the link on YouTube or on the right side of this page.


These photos are from The Painted Turtle, a year-round camp that inspires kids with medical needs to reach beyond their illness. Working on this story was an eye-opening experience for me, and one that I'm so proud to have been a part of. I'm hoping you'll not only find inspiration in the Campbell's story, but hopefully it will encourage you to look beyond life's challenges, and focus on the bigger picture.