Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rollin' with The Derby Dolls


Punching, grabbing and hip-checking while on roller skates going at high speeds. That can only mean one thing...the Derby Dolls are in town.

In Downtown Los Angeles this weekend, the Derby Dolls All-Star teams from across the country will be hitting the track for the Battle on the Bank. There are over 275 teams across the country, including the LA Derby Dolls here in Southern California.

For this tournament, the ladies will be skating on a bank track...as opposed to a flat track. The bank track is slanted down, very reminiscent of the old school classic Roller Derby track that we used to watch on TV. Skating at a downward angle is extremely difficult and takes a lot of strength, but these roller babes have no problems getting around the track.

These Derby Dolls mean business when it comes to their sport. Injuries happen regularly....broken collarbones, sprained ankles, teeth knocked out, fractured legs...but to them, it's all part of the game.

One skater known as "Fighty Almighty" told me that it's not about taking out aggression, but instead focusing 100% on the sport and giving it your all. She said, "I would never take out aggression on the track, that's what the L.A streets are for when I'm driving." Whoa...watch out!

While I was taping my segment, I was called out by one of the ladies who told me that I couldn't handle them out on the track. Let's just say she was right.

You can watch my story, and my not-so-good attempt at roller derby, on KTLA.com